Who can help me?

Some problems won't go away, but they can feel a lot better when you talk to someone about them. You might think that your problems can't be solved, but there may be help available for the person you care for that you don't know about, and which would make things easier for you too.

You might want to talk to friends, parents or even a pet! If you're finding it hard to find the right moment to talk about your worries, or what to say, try writing a diary, a poem, or a letter first (you don't have to show anyone!)

If you talk to a teacher, school nurse, GP or Youth Worker, they may have to tell someone else who can help. Don't worry if they say they're going to talk to someone else. To help you and the person you care for sometimes this needs to happen. It doesn't mean that you are in trouble, that you have done something wrong, or that you are going to be taken away from your family.

Teachers and other school staff

Teachers are there to help pupils get the most out of school. They can be a
good person for you to speak to about any problems you have. If you're getting angry in school, missing lessons to help look after someone
at home, or struggling to get your work in on time, you might benefit from
talking to a teacher.

Some schools run clubs for young carers and provide information for them. There's sometimes a lead teacher who's responsible for young carers in school.

If you're having trouble attending school, you may be contacted by education welfare officers (EWOs). The EWO's job is to find out what's stopping you from getting to school, and what would help you go more often.

Social workers

A social worker's job is to support and help a family that might be having
difficulties. Social workers may be asked to help a young carer's family if there are problems that the family members are finding hard to sort out on their own.

If you feel you need help staying healthy and taking part in school and
social activities, you might be able to get help. In some cases, support workers can help you with your education and health.

A social worker only finds a new home for a child if the child
is in danger at home and there's no other way of keeping them safe.


If you're a young carer and are under 16, you can ask social services for a
carer's assessment whenever the person you're looking after is having an assessment of their own. If you're a young carer aged 16 or over, you can ask social services for a carer's assessment whenever you like.

CAF Assessment

One way that you and your family can get help is by asking for a CAF assessment.

If you have worries you can't figure out on your own, then ask an adult who works with you for a CAF.  They will listen to your story and use CAF to help sort it all out.

Here's what happens and how it works;

  • First, you and the person you told will fill out the CAF form together, making sure you're happy with your story on the form.
  • This person will then have a clear picture of what your worries are and will get a team of people together to work through them with you.
  • You will help choose one person from that team to be your LP (lead professional) who will stick with you and make sure the team keeps their promises.
  • The whole process will take a little time but it can only be done with your permission.