Money matters

Do you need help with money or want to find out more about the benefits you can claim? If you are under 16, your family might be able to get more help with money from a benefits advisor at your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau.

  • Carer's Allowance

    Carer's Allowance is available to anyone over 16 who cares for someone for at least 35 hours a week. Time spent travelling or helping someone get about can count towards the 35 hours.

    To qualify for Carer's Allowance,

    • The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

    You might be able to get Carer's Allowance if all of the following apply:

    • you're 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you're not in full time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn no more than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you're at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)


    To apply call the Carers Allowance Unit on 0345 608 4321 or apply online

  • Carer premium

    Some carers can get the carer premium. This is extra money included in Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

  • Grants

    Young Carers Opportunity Fund

    Young carers can apply for a grant of up to £150 to get a break from their caring responsibilities to apply call Carers Northumberland on 01670 320 025 or  Fund.